16 Helpful Inspection Report Questions For Buyers
Congratulations, your offer has been accepted! You now have entered the attorney review period. Typically, a home inspection is scheduled within five days of the accepted offer. An inspection report is an inspector’s documented recommendations and observations of the property’s potential need for repairs. Remember, your inspector’s job is to find any reasonably discoverable issues in your home.
While inspections are not mandatory, we highly recommend utilizing this affordable resource so you can continue through the buying process as informed as possible. The inspection report can be intimidating! We put together prompts to help you feel empowered to ask everyone on your “team” actionable questions.
Questions you should ask your REALTOR®:
- Do you have any reputable inspectors you would recommend?
- What are three things you advise I look out for in particular?
- Will you be able to attend the inspection with me?
- What are common issues or challenges to see in this property type?
- In your opinion, what are the most important repairs I should focus on or prioritize?
- [in the case of a short-sale] When should we schedule the appraisal?
Questions you should ask your inspector:
- What do you check and what don’t you check?
- How soon after the inspection will I receive the inspection report?
- Are you available for follow-up calls if I have questions about the report?
- Are there any issues of note on the seller’s property disclosure statement?
Questions you should ask your attorney:
- From the seller’s perspective, what requests are they likely to push back on and what are they likely to consider?
- How many requests is too many?
- Should I ask for a credit or should I ask for a warranty?
Questions you should ask yourself:
- How much repair am I comfortable taking on myself?
- What are my priorities?
- What items am I willing to give up on during the negotiation?
In the end, the inspection report is another tool in your homebuying toolbelt. If you’re feeling anxious, your REALTOR® is always available to provide perspective and experience.