During the winter season, it’s important to be proactive in protecting your family and your home from the elements. Below are our tips to combat the cold weather and prevent larger issues in the future.
- Increase your thermostat’s temperature 2 to 3 degrees on extra cold days
- Leave cabinet doors open if pipes are inside
- Ensure all windows are fully closed and locked
- Use door sweeps to stop drafts
- Run faucets at a slow drip if temperatures drop below 0 degrees
Also, space heaters are typically used more frequently in cold weather. remember that space heaters can be dangerous. The following types will help avoid the risk of fires or other potential harm:
- Keep blankets and other fabrics at a distance
- Invest in newer models, which tend to be safer
- Avoid connecting them to extension cords, as they increase the risk of fires
- Ensure fire detectors are working
Following these tips will help protect your building and tenants during Chicago winters.