https://buysellownchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/GettyImages-1187795696.jpg 1397 2146 Katie Howell https://buysellownchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/BSOC-Logo-300x102.png Katie Howell2021-06-04 18:06:162021-08-11 13:12:2810 Things To Do When You Move Into a New Home
10 Things To Do When You Move Into a New Home
Congratulations! You’ve bought a new home. Move in, get comfortable and check off the items on this list for your personal security and preparedness.
- If you haven’t already, set up your utilities. Call your water, electric, gas, sewer and garbage companies to start your services.
- Update your address of important documents, like your driver’s license, credit card, banks and subscriptions, to name just a few, and make sure your mail is being forwarded from your old address to your new home.
- Change all of your locks. Call a locksmith out to get new locks in place. You never know who could have access to a spare of the original locks. Also, consider whether a security system is necessary for you and your family.
- Reset codes, like garage openers and gates. Similar to locks, you don’t know where a code might be floating around or who might have access to them.
- Test fire and carbon monoxide detectors or install ones if there aren’t any. Make sure the batteries are fresh and ready to go.
- Change your air filters to ensure better airflow and lower your home’s energy usage. Also, make sure to change your air filter every three months.
- Get a fire extinguisher for your kitchen and each floor of your home. Better safe than sorry!
- Find your circuit box and label each breaker, so you’re not guessing if a problem comes up.
- Find gas and water shut-off valves in case of a gas leak or a pipe breaks so you can handle the problem right away.
- Check that everything on your inspection report was addressed. If they weren’t, reach out to your REALTOR® to let them know.
Then, get comfortable, set up your new space and have piece of mind knowing your new space is ready for you!